Hi all! Hope you have something fun planned for the weekend. We are heading out to Wisconsin to celebrate Dave’s grandma’s 80th birthday, which made me think to bring up the topic of “Dining with Family.” Our families aren’t quite “there” yet. Do you know what I mean? Maybe you’re in the same boat? It’s a step by step process introducing The Chiropractic Principle and the other 4 Essentials of Health to the ones you love. Dave and I are often met with apprehension and have barely skimmed the surface with most of our family.
It gets tough going home for holidays and parties when the people around you don’t eat or live the same way as you. Value systems are different. But don’t be discouraged! It helps to realize that their paradigm is different from yours. They are still in the medical paradigm of health and can’t help but feel the lifestyle choices they make and the food they choose to eat is right. If you are IN on Maximized Living and follow the 5 Essentials, your paradigm has switched over to the chiropracTIC paradigm of health, or in other words PREVENTATIVE health. Your mindset and value system has completely flipped.
All you can do is keep loving your family members and friends for who they are and understand where they are coming from. But never back down from your truth and sharing the knowledge that you have. When the time is right, they will come to you for help, just keep sharing.
Some tips for family gatherings when the food isn’t ML Nutrition Plan or Healing Cuisine approved:
- Always offer to bring a dish or two to share, this guarantees you something you can eat. (And don’t be afraid to eat lots of it!)
- Let the host know in advance that you are no-grain, no-sugar, etc. Family especially will respect your diet sensitivities (we even tell them we are allergic to sugar and gluten) and will be sure to provide a side dish you can enjoy. This also opens the door for you to explain the ML Nutrition Plans and your reasoning. We remind family ever Christmas — you never know if this year will be the year they hop on the bandwagon!
- Eat before attending the party, something we’ll be doing this weekend. We’ll often eat a hefty breakfast or have a protein shake before going to the party so that we’re not as hungry and won’t want to eat very much party food.
- If the urge to have a dinner roll or spoonful of Jell-o salad arises, stick to your guns! Have an affirmation or two prepared and repeat it over and over in your head until you are strong enough to pass up the temptation. As long as you have told the host in advance, politely pass on the dishes you know you shouldn’t eat.
- Every so often, it’s okay to have a “vacation day.” It’s not going to kill you to eat a little sugar for dessert or have commercially raised grilled chicken for one meal, just keep your intake moderate and be prepared for possible detox side effects. Your body has been healing since you’ve been getting adjusted and eating clean, and will now recognize chemicals, additives, grains and sugars as toxins. Common side effects could be diarrhea, upset stomach, head ache, bloating, fatigue, cramping, heart burn, and skin rash. As long as you’re prepared for the possible side effects, enjoy a few “vacation” snacks, but get your body detoxing again by staring your Nutrition Plan tomorrow.